Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Replace A Sprayer Head With A Riser

A hose easily accommodates sprayer heads or risers.

Risers are long strands of metal pipe that attach to the ends of a garden hose and have a series of holes on one side. When the water flows, the risers send the water into the air to irrigate, hence, the term riser. Risers are known by another colloquial term, nipples. These devices are available in metal and PVC tube. As a rule of thumb, the harder the material used to make the riser, the longer life it will have. Changing a hose out from a spray head to a riser is a quick and easy task.


1. Turn off the water source to the hose with the sprayer head. Unscrew the sprayer-head by holding the hose with one hand and the sprayer with the other. Twist the sprayer head counterclockwise and the garden hose clockwise to gain opposing force. Continue turning until the sprayer head comes off the hose threads. Set the sprayer aside.

2. Locate the threaded end of the riser. Attach the coupler, a small tube threaded on both sides. Attach one end of the coupler to the end of the garden hose by screwing it onto the threads clockwise until it stops.

3. Screw the riser onto the open threads on the other side of the coupler by turning it clockwise until it stops.

4. Pull the hose and riser to the area you wish to irrigate. Turn the water on, and watch to ensure the connections are tight and the water is rising out of the riser holes.

Tips Warnings

Use triangular-shaped wood wedges to chock the riser and hose in place when irrigating lawns and gardens. The bent wire gates for lawn croquet are also handy for securing hoses and risers to the earth when irrigating. Not all risers require a coupler; use only if the riser threads are not the proper size for the hose. Use an adjustable wrench to loosen the coupler when removing the riser.