Suction machines are used to remove fluids such as secretion and mucus from body cavities. Doctors sometimes prescribe a portable suction machine for patients to remove secretions and mucus from the airways. It is generally used in the throat and nose to enhance breathing. It also helps to make eating and talking more comfortable. In order to operate the machine safely and effectively, you have to follow the instructions carefully. With these basic steps, you can operate your portable suction machine successfully.
1. Place the portable suction machine on a sturdy surface and plug it into an electrical outlet. Check the power switch on the side of the machine to make sure it is in the OFF position.
2. Wash your hands thoroughly with warm water and soap, then dry thoroughly. Connect one end of the 4 inches tubing to the lid of the collection container, then connect the other end to the suction catheter.
3. Check the tubes to make sure that they are all secured before using the portable suction machine, then turn the machine to the ON position. Adjust the pressure on the suction machine to the desired level.
4. Place the patient in a comfortable position, with her head supported by a pillow. Put the suction catheter into the patient's mouth, while slowly pushing it towards the back of the mouth. The suction should be pushed just to the back of the throat. If the patient starts to gag, that means that you have gone too far. Remove the suction immediately.
5. Suction for at least 10 seconds at a time. Suction distilled water into the catheter between each suction. Turn off the suction machine when you are finished suctioning.
Do not allow the fluids to accumulate above the fill limit line of the suction container.
Never suction for more than 15 seconds.
Tags: portable, suction, machine, suction machine, make sure, mucus from, portable suction, portable suction, portable suction machine, portable suction machine, suction catheter