Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Effects Of Drinking Clorox

While chlorine is occasionally added to drinking water to purify it, unless done in a precise setting where the exact measurements are known, drinking bleach is very dangerous. While some may drink it to try and purify their system, and some may try to drink it to fool a drug test, drinking Clorox can cause many adverse side effects. Drinking Clorox is dangerous and could hurt your body badly.

Immediate Effects

Ingesting Clorox can lead to nausea and diarrhea, along with vomiting and, in some cases, permanent esophageal damage. This damage can cause intestinal problems, such as wearing away of the stomach lining. While it is true that drinking water does have chlorine bleach in it, it is regulated highly by the FDA and should not be attempted at home.

Long-Term Side Effects

Drinking Clorox for a lengthy amount of time can cause serious long-term effects. With the wearing away of your stomach lining, you may experience excess stomach acid or even ulcers. Chronic poisoning with Clorox bleach can also lead to excess mucous production in the eyes and damage to the central nervous system. You may also experience hyperchloremic acidosis, a condition in which the pH balance of your body is always too acidic.


If you've accidentally swallowed a small amount of Clorox, you should begin drinking milk immediately. Continue to administer fluids to dilute the bleach and minimize the side effects. However, if a large amount has been ingested, stomach pumping might be necessary, as too much Clorox can lead to death by poisoning. See your doctor immediately if you've ingested Clorox, or call your local Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

Tags: Clorox lead, Drinking Clorox, drinking water, Effects Drinking, Effects Drinking Clorox