Thursday, May 5, 2011

Not Freak Out When Getting A Closed Mri

It's been almost two years now since I was first diagnosed with a benign brain tumor on my right hearing nerve, which has effected my hearing on that same side. In the process of getting it treated, I had to get a closed MRI. I went in thinking this would be the easiest part of the process, but it turned out to be one of the most difficult for me. Since then I've had to go back, and although it is still not easy, I can get through it. Here are some of my tips:


Instructions


1. Once you lay down on the table, don't open your eyes for anything until you are done with the process and the technician asks you to get up.


2. Once you lay down, tell yourself over and over you're just relaxing. Everything's fine. Say whatever you typically say to yourself to keep yourself calm and relaxed.








3. Ask for a blanket in case they forget to cover you. You don't typically start off cold, but the room gets cold after a while and you don't need to start shivering, when you're trying to stay relaxed.


4. Ask for the technician to play music. Some radiology clinics have CDs you can pick from. If not, ask the technician to speak to you about something unrelated to the process or to give you periodic updates on the time -- whatever will make you feel better.


5. If you feel yourself on the verge of panicking, it's important to keep yourself from sliding over that 'edge.' It's only fear. Breathe through it as if you were in labor if you need to, but work through it. Going in with a few funny memories in mind helps. I thought about my ex-husband sticking his head out the window when I was cooking (ok ok BURNING) pork chops. And when he ran - this big, hulking guy - after this tiny mouse with a broom, screaming at the top of his lungs. It helped ALOT. :-)

Tags: keep yourself, Once down